Oct 23, 2012, 4:59 PM EDT
And just like that, the David Herndon era is over in Philadelphia. According to reports, the right-handed reliever was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Herndon’s 2012 was cut short by a flexor pronator strain that required Tommy John surgery in June. He will not be ready in time for Opening Day next year.
Prior to the injury, Herndon was 0-1 with a 4.70 ERA in five appearances this season. In three years with the Phillies, the 27 year old was 2-8 with a 3.85 ERA in 97 games. His best numbers were in’11, when he posted a 3.32 and 8.5 hits per nine over 57 innings pitched.
While he is mostly unremarkable, the loss of Herndon was one of the overlooked reasons why the Phillies’ relief pitching was so terrible this year. He was often the target of fans’ scorn, but no one ever asked him to be Cy Young. He was the type of serviceable, back-end-of-the-bullpen arm every team has, and that the Phils lacked for almost an entire season.
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return