Apr 25, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
As fans, it seems as though we’ve all come to expect something around the level of mediocrity from the current iteration of the Philadelphia Phillies. That’s fine. It’s still fun at times to cheer on a team that you know isn’t a playoff favorite. There’s still a chance and all that.
But what still really pisses you off is when fundamentals get thrown out the window. When a guy makes a boneheaded decision to attempt to stretch a single into a double or gets thrown out at home. Base running blunders are seemingly among the most infuriating. These people have been playing baseball for their entire lives. They should have this stuff down by now.
That’s why Wednesday night was so damn annoying to watch. Not because the offense failed to rally late or because the bullpen couldn’t hold on — those things are part of the game, they happen sometimes, even on good teams. But mental mistakes and dumb plays that a professional baseball player should make nine times out of ten, those things are what really make you want to change the channel.
Thankfully, I guess, they’re back at it today at 1:05 with Cliff Lee on the hill. If there’s a guy who can show up on your TV and make you feel pretty good about baseball two hours later, it’s Cliff. He’ll face James McDonald (2-2, 4.12) for the Buccos.
The major note this afternoon is that Ben Revere mercifully gets a rest. Michael Young gets a breather as well after his hitting streak came to an end.
Let’s not ruin a perfectly nice day, whatdya say, Phils?
|Turbo on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|corey on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|Kunk on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|t800m101 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages