May 7, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
Sometimes we watch the game and get annoyed or pissed off when our team is down by 10 runs and it’s only the third inning. When it’s a particularly meaningful game, we often allow the brutal loss to sink in over the next few days and try to find some sort of meaning or explanation for it all. Then, sometimes, we read about it days later and just get really, really sad.
The final two sentences in this graph from the always reasonable Jonah Keri are particularly sad.
Roy Halladay isn’t necessarily done in the literal sense. He’ll very likely pitch again. But watching the sad-sack Marlins batter Halladay for nine runs in 2⅓ innings Sunday, with their one dangerous hitter on the DL no less, reinforced what we’ve all been thinking for a while: The Doc we knew is gone. It took Juan Pierre, Marcell Ozuna, Greg Dobbs, and Adeiny Hechavarria to read him his last rites.
God, that sucked to read.
I’m with Keri for the most part. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Halladay just yet. But I’m finally willing to admit that he’ll never be the same. I know, I know. It takes some people longer to accept a sad reality.
What happens with Doc the rest of the way is one of the more intriguing stories the Phils have going. Can he go through those old emails one more time? Rest a couple of weeks to get that fastball up a couple of ticks and be serviceable?
Plenty of people are hoping so. And really we just don’t want to be saddened by watching the once Best Pitcher On Earth give up 9 runs ever again.
>>Doc Halladay’s A-Game Rides Off Into the Sunset [Grantland]
|The Bees Knees on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Joe B on Photos: Temple Basketball will…|
|GregL190 on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages