May 15, 2011, 12:59 PM EDT
So, yesterday’s outing was pretty frustrating, with Joe Blanton giving up homers to the first two batters he faced and the Phillies getting no-everything’d through five innings. Joey B settled down after the first, but the Phils wilted under the weight of a brilliant Jair Jurrjens start. A late-inning comeback attempt fell short while the Braves expanded their lead as the middle relief trio of JC Romero, Kyle Kendrick, and Danys Baez combined to walk four batters and give up four hits in just two total innings. And to top it off Starks got ejected Shane Victorino got nicked up.
The good news is we have a doctor in the house today, with Roy Halladay set to face Tim Hudson in the rubber match.
Hudson’s having a solid season so far, including a win over the Phillies in early April. The Fightins hung eight hits on him, but only three runs. Hudson is coming off of a loss to the Nationals, but his previous start was a complete game shutout of the Brewers.
Not long after the bottom of the lineup got Carlos Ruiz back, the top of the lineup will be without Victorino for a bit, although he’s not expected to go on the DL. Michael Martinez will replace him in the lineup, with John Mayberry Jr. getting the start in right field and batting seventh, per Ryan Lawrence.
With both staffs boasting some serious pitching, the season series should be pretty interesting and tough to predict. The Phillies’ rivalry with the Braves is based on more than regional hate, and we’re in a pretty good chapter of it.
It’s also the MLB’s Civil Rights Game. Not exactly sure why the teams wore their Negro League throwbacks yesterday and will wear modified 1974 throwbacks today, but that is the case. If anyone knows, feel free to let us know in the comments. Both sets of unis look pretty sweet, so no complaints here. Love the ol’ powder blues…
I’ve recovered just enough from an afternoon and evening spent drinking away the Phillies’ and Union’s inept offensive efforts (thanks, Troegs Flying Mouflan!) to ya know, start drinking and watching baseball again. Enjoy your Sunday.
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money