Jul 20, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Former Phillie and, more relevant to this writing, Cub, Doug Glanville was on hand at Wrigley Field Wednesday to throw out the game’s ceremonial first pitch. For a former major leaguer, this one didn’t exactly go as planned, with Doug air-mailing the plate in his return to the big leagues. In fairness, the guy played his entire career in the outfield. Had they backed him up another 200-feet, that thing would have been on the money.
Anyway, for those of you who haven’t been following Doug’s activities post-retirement, the former centerfielder is now enjoying a successful career as an analyst. Having been hired as a color commentator by ESPN in 2010, Doug has frequently appeared on both SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight, joining another former Phillie in John Kruk. He has also expanded his resume to include a role as a guest columnist for The New York Times. An intelligent, well-spoken, well-written individual, and, oh yeah, not too bad a ball player either, we remember fondly Doug’s time in Philadelphia and continue to wish him success.
Now watch him totally screw up this pitch after the jump…
Thanks to CSN Chicago for supplying the video.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money