Oct 9, 2012, 4:08 PM EST
The Reading Phillies have three players on a list of the Eastern League’s Top 20 Prospects according to Baseball America. Catcher Tommy Joseph, third baseman Cody Asche, and pitcher Jon Pettibone all made the cut. Home run king Darin “Babe” Ruf did not.
Ruf bashed his way into Reading’s record books over the summer and to an Eastern League MVP award, yet there are 20 or more young better prospects at that level? Via Beerleaguer, BA explains:
Reading first baseman/outfielder Darin Ruf won the EL MVP award, almost took the league’s triple crown and led the minors with 38 homers (including 20 in July) but didn’t crack the Top 20. He’s 26 and scouts aren’t sold that he’ll be able to handle major league pitching.
We have to concede age is always going to be a factor when discussing prospects, but Ruf’s exemption from this list altogether might raise some eyebrows. In an admittedly small sample size over the final few weeks of the season, he seemed to handle the show just fine.
As for the rest of the Phillies, Joseph — acquired from San Francisco in the Hunter Pence trade — is 10th, Asche is 17th, and Pettibone 19th.
Back to Ruf, what are your thoughts on this slight? Granted it doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme — we are still waiting for Dom Brown to live up to that pre-2011 ranking of fourth-best prospect in all of baseball — but should we be concerned Ruf is still being overlooked by the scouting community?
|Chris on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|trishb on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|charlie d on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|sfsu on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages