Sep 6, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
The Phillies kick off a series with the Atlanta Braves this evening at Citizens Bank Park, the outcome of which not many of you likely care about. But the team did do something today that could play an interesting roll with future teams you will hopefully care more about: they moved Ethan Martin to the bullpen.
Rich Dubee announced the decision to reporters prior to this evenings game. Martin (2-4, 6.90 in 7 starts) pitched to mixed results as a starter this season, at times showing impressive stuff while also having some issues with his command and also pointing out he hit something of a wall around the 60 pitch mark (starters need to throw more than 60 pitches if you didn’t know).
But that mid-90s stuff is awfully intriguing as demonstrated in his August 29th start against the Mets when he struck out 9 batters in just four innings of work. Some guessed that stuff would make for a real nice back-end of the bullpen type, but again, command issues certainly don’t fit in well there. What works best there is a guy who can strike guys out, not give them free passes.
Today we learn that Dubee and co. want to see if he can be a better fit in the pen. How his stuff fits in there will be another worthwhile storyline to follow over the next three weeks.
7:05 from the Bank tonight with Clifton Phifer Lee (11-6, 3.09) on the hill taking on Zach Minor (13-5, 3.08). It’s little princess night at CBP or something so bring your tiara, I guess. Each child that attends the “Royal Tea Party at the Tent” will get one of these snazzy wands and tiaras too! So, Phillies baseball.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return