Oct 6, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Braves fans looking for sympathy obviously won’t find much here. You can debate the merits of the infield fly rule in a specific situation, and it sure looked funny on a ball hit into what most people would consider the outfield on Friday night, but based on the letter of the law, I personally would have to agree it was a subjective call and therefore technically accurate. (I’m not as sure I agree with its application though.)
Braves fans weren’t having anything resembling a debate at Turner Field, which erupted into an uncomfortable scene in the moments that followed the controversial play.
In a display eerily reminscent of what transpired at a Cleveland Browns game in 2001, the good people of Atlanta chucked beer bottles and assorted trash on to the playing surface, surely targeting the umpires who would not be overturning the original call. Just imagine if this had happened in Philadelphia.
Chipper Jones defended the fan base after the game though not for their actions. Some Phillies fans might find it laughable, but he praised their passion. It’s a little more difficult to argue upon seeing this display.
Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, playing his last game before entering retirement, called the fans’ reaction disappointing, but added: “I know one thing’s for sure. You won’t be able to say that Braves fans don’t care. They came out in full force tonight, 50,000 strong. We love each and every one of them.”
We were curious what the reaction is specifically from Philadelphia fans, both over the call and the melee that it incited. We think it’s also notable that this particular call isn’t necessarily what cost the Braves the game, as they were already losing 6-3, the eventual final. Let us know how you felt.
|will on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|Ron Burgundy on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Scott B on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|psudrozz on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages