Oct 6, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Braves fans looking for sympathy obviously won’t find much here. You can debate the merits of the infield fly rule in a specific situation, and it sure looked funny on a ball hit into what most people would consider the outfield on Friday night, but based on the letter of the law, I personally would have to agree it was a subjective call and therefore technically accurate. (I’m not as sure I agree with its application though.)
Braves fans weren’t having anything resembling a debate at Turner Field, which erupted into an uncomfortable scene in the moments that followed the controversial play.
In a display eerily reminscent of what transpired at a Cleveland Browns game in 2001, the good people of Atlanta chucked beer bottles and assorted trash on to the playing surface, surely targeting the umpires who would not be overturning the original call. Just imagine if this had happened in Philadelphia.
Chipper Jones defended the fan base after the game though not for their actions. Some Phillies fans might find it laughable, but he praised their passion. It’s a little more difficult to argue upon seeing this display.
Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, playing his last game before entering retirement, called the fans’ reaction disappointing, but added: “I know one thing’s for sure. You won’t be able to say that Braves fans don’t care. They came out in full force tonight, 50,000 strong. We love each and every one of them.”
We were curious what the reaction is specifically from Philadelphia fans, both over the call and the melee that it incited. We think it’s also notable that this particular call isn’t necessarily what cost the Braves the game, as they were already losing 6-3, the eventual final. Let us know how you felt.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money