Jul 15, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
It’s our understanding the Phillies won on Saturday night. We looked in the paper, it definitely happened. Now they are in position to salvage a series win against an inferior opponent, but it turns out the Rockies may have a secret weapon: 23-year-old Drew Pomeranz.
The fifth overall selection in the 2010 draft, Pomeranz is a 6’5″ lefty who has been bouncing between the big club and the minors since late last season. The Ole Miss product has corrected some mechanical issues though, and is now poised to turn around the sorry state of Colorado’s staff.
Of course, the man on the hill for the Phillies today isn’t too shabby either. Cole Hamels is going for his 11th win of the season.
Cole’s (10-4, 3.20) last win actually game against the Rocks back on June 19, a two-run, eight-inning effort that guided the Phils to a 7-2 victory. He’s been solid as usual in three starts since, posting a 3.00 ERA, but an 0-1 record to along with that figure unfortunately.
Hey may need to be even better today if the Phils’ lineup can’t solve Pomeranz (1-3, 3.06). In his two outings since his latest call-up, Pomeranz has yet to surrender an earned run through 12.1 frames, and has only allowed three hits for that matter. Right before the break, he even out-dueled Washington’s vaunted Stephen Strasburg, taking a no-no into the sixth.
Over his brief career, Pomeranz is 3-4 with a 3.86 ERA and 40 strikeouts in 11 appearances, and it sure sounds like he has the potential to be great. We’ll see if the Phillies’ bats have an answer, but the best news might be the Rockies will almost certainly pull him around the 75-pitch mark.
|FlyersFan on Wayne Simmonds on Hartsy and V…|
|Jay D on Wayne Simmonds on Hartsy and V…|
|EDGE on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Kevin on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money