Jun 20, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
It’s the first day of summer, and it’s hot outside. I mean unnecessarily so. Now would be the perfect time to set up somewhere in the air conditioning, and watch the Phillies try to compete like that baseball team of old — 2011.
The Rockies are still in town for the next couple nights, and wow are they bad. This four-man rotation thing is a joke, and the bats simply don’t work that well when they take them on the road. That doesn’t mean they won’t beat the Phillies, but at least on Tuesday night anyway, all was well at Citizens Bank Park.
Coming off of a complete-game victory over the Twins last week, Joe Blanton (6-6, 4.93) returns to the hill hoping to build off of his first solid performance in a month. He’s faced the Rocks twice in his career, both times in 2010, going 1-0 with a 5.23 ERA.
Ina bit of bad news for Big Joe, Colorado’s best hitter returns to the lineup tonight. Carlos Gonzalez is enjoying a fine season himself, batting .335 with 17 HR and 51 RBI, as well as a league-leading 51 runs scored. He’s had success against Blanton, too. The lefty is 4-for-5 lifetime with three singles and a solo shot.
Alex White (2-5, 5.56) starts for the Rockies, and we use the term loosely since it will feel more like a long-relief appearance. The former 15th overall pick by the Cleveland Indians in ’09, White has mixed a handful of competent starts with others less effective in his first full season in the big leagues. He was 3-4 with a 7.01 ERA in 10 appearances in 2011.
Your lineup is below. Remember to stay hydrated, preferably indoors if not by a body of water, and tuned into the Level.
Phils lineup vs Rockies: Rollins (6), Pierre (7), Pence (9), Ruiz (2), Victorino (8), Polanco (5), Mayberry (3), Martinez (4), Blanton (1)
— Leslie Gudel (@lesliegudel) June 20, 2012
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return