May 22, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
Kudos to the folks over at the Good Phight for already using the “Chase Utley Deathwatch 2013 Begins” headline. I’m just bummed they beat us to it. Yes, the bad news of the day is that Chase Utley will not be in the lineup this evening and will be in Philadelphia tomorrow to get an MRI done on his right side/ribs.
This is what Charlie said about Utley following last night’s game:
“When he took a swing, he felt a little burn, a pain in his rib cage,” manager Charlie Manuel said of Utley after Tuesday’s game. “Sometimes if you keep playing that can get more serious and you lose time. I’ve had those things. It’s hard to breathe, really hard to swing. We’ll see. Hopefully we don’t lose him for very long.”
I suppose the silver lining in the Utley situation is that the team has Freddy Galvis ready to step in and play second. Obviously, Galvis doesn’t have the pop Utley has and it leaves their bench rather thin.
If ever there were a time for Ben Revere, Michael Young, and Delmon Young to step up their production at the plate, now would seem as good as ever with Utley’s bat not in the lineup. Revere and Delmon had strong showings on Tuesday night and hopefully they can continue to see the ball well.
As we mentioned earlier in the day, a Phillies win and Nationals loss tonight would set the two teams up for a weekend series where both teams enter with the same record. That has to be somewhat encouraging given the way the season has been somewhat disappointing, yes?
And the Phillies have Cliff Lee throwing against the Marlins tonight. If that doesn’t get you hopeful for at least a win this evening, there is no hope for this team.
Lee (4-2, 2.83) will go up against Marlins right-hander Kevin Slowey (1-4, 3.44) tonight.
I believe, per the telecast last night, that tonight’s game marks the 9th time the Phillies will attempt to bring their record to one game below .500 this season and they’ve failed to do so eighth previous times. HERE’S TO CLIFF TO CHANGE THAT!
7:10 start from Miami before an off-day tomorrow. Gotta win this one.
Here’s Ruben Amaro earlier in the day on the team’s injuries:
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|MJS on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|romanKanai on Michael Young Is Posting Some…|
|Jason R. on We’re comparing Michael…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages