Jun 14, 2012, 5:54 PM EST
They say that animals have a sixth sense, so when the Phillies beat’s resident koala says the forecast in Minneapolis tonight calls for “large hail” and “funnel-like storms,” well, you best believe it’s gonna get nasty.
But the Phillies obviously don’t face the Twins again this year unless the two last place squads somehow miraculously face off in the World Series, so there could be plenty of waiting around this evening. Set your DVRs for that Rain Delay Programing.
That and Joe Blanton is looking to avoid a tying a franchise-worst sixth-straight outing in which five earned runs or more are given up. Should be a fun night!
Jim Thome will look to continue his torrid tear of Twins pitching as the DH and cleanup hitter for the Phils tonight. As we mentioned earlier, his 4-RBI performance last night pushed him over Matt Stairs in the Phillies record books for Oldest Slugger Who Is Awesome And Lovable.
The small balling of Juan Pierre gets the night off as John Mayberry Jr. starts in left with Ty Wigginton thankfully not playing third, instead rocking a first baseman’s mitt.
1. Jimmy Rollins, SS
2. Placido Polanco, 3B
3. Hunter Pence, RF
4. Jim Thome, DH
5. Shane Victorino, CF
6. Carlos Ruiz, C
7. Ty Wigginton, 1B
8. John Mayberry, LF
9. Michael Martinez, 2B
As for who the offense will face, that’d be left-hander Scott Diamond (5-1, 1.61.). Here’s what you need to know from CSN:
Diamond is a 25-year-old Canadian who was signed as an undrafted free
agent by the Braves in 2007. He arrived in Minnesota as a Rule 5 pick in
Diamond was never a top-flight prospect and has
mediocre minor league numbers in exactly 600 innings — a 3.70 ERA and a
1.40 WHIP. There is little reason to believe that he’ll sustain the
success he’s had to this point.
And one last thing of note. The afformentioned Matt Gelb is tweeting from Minnesota that it is not looking promising for baseball. So there’s that.
8:10 start if it happens.
Really hard to see them playing here tonight.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) June 14, 2012
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages