Jun 19, 2012, 6:08 PM EST
The pregame coverage surrounding tonight’s series-opener with the Rockies has been understandably focused on the news that Freddy Galvis has been suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a banned substance.
Ruben Amaro, Jr. addressed the media at Citizens Bank Park earlier this evening, expressing support for his now-suspended shortstop and stating his team’s belief in both Galvis and MLB’s drug testing policy. Of course, Galvis will be sitting out the next 50 game regardless of his general manager’s feelings.
If there’s any bright side, it’s exactly as Kulp mentioned when the news broke, the rookie shortstop would have been unavailable for much of time he is now mandated to miss due to injury.
Breaking from that, Cole Hamels will try to gather the troops as the Phils take on the Rockies tonight at 7:05 (PHL 17 / 94.1 / 1210). [game notes below]
On the Mound
Hamels is the loser of his last four games and has cooled off dramatically over the last month, since starting the season like a guy looking to up the worth of his next contract (for, um, obvious reasons). Hamels is the owner a 4.67 ERA in his last five starts and has not gone past 6 2/3 innings in his last three attempts. Expect him to buck this trend tonight and get back on track against a Rockies team 15 games under .500.
Standing opposed, Josh Outman was once sent to Oakland in 2008 for one Joe Blanton. The former Phillies prospect has an 8.44 ERA in 11 appearances this season, eight of which came in relief. He has not gone past five innings in his three starts, and only went three and 3 1/3 in his first two outings.
(Not so) Fun Facts!
1. The Phillies are just 12-19 at Citizens Bank Park this year, and are just 2-10 at home since sweeping the Mets in mid-May. That said (actual fun fact on the way), the Rockies are even worse on the road at 10-19.
2. The Phillies have committed 15 errors over their last 11 games and have allowed 11 unearned runs over that stretch, second only to Detroit in the majors.
Charlie’s 6/19 Lineup
1. Rollins, SS
2. Polanco, 3B
3. Hunter Pence, RF
4. Carlos Ruiz, C
5. Shane Victorino, CF
6. Ty Wigginton, 1B
7. John Mayberry, LF
8. Michael Martinez, 2B
9. Cole Hamels, P
|Marvin Monroe on Report: Glen Macnow done on WI…|
|33 on Report: Glen Macnow done on WI…|
|Stave on Flyers nearly sent Mike Richar…|
|BCB on Report: Glen Macnow done on WI…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages