Jul 2, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
Roy Halladay returned to Toronto to face the Blue Jays on Saturday and received a well-deserved, long standing ovation before making his first pitches of the game. Doc gave his former fans a show, thrown yet another complete game win, as the Phillies took game 2 of the series by a 5-3 count.
The Phillies’ bats gave Halladay some decent support, particularly later in the game. The kind Canadian crowd began to sour after the Chase Utley bopped a two-run homer to get the Phils a 4-3 lead in the seventh. By the time the game was over, Blue Jays reliever Jon Rauch had been ejected, forcefully and with some amount of disrobing (video below, while it lasts), as had manager John Farrell. Long live umpire Alfonso Marquez. One Jays fan ran onto the field, and quite a few threw trash on it. Video below.
And on Canada Day weekend?!
Halladay stoically soldiered through the delays and distractions, facing only three batters in the bottom of the ninth, including his eighth strikeout of the day and inducing a double play after allowing a single. He let up an absolute bomb to Jose Bautista in the fourth, one that hit the windows in center and measured 449 feet. But overall, aside from a pair of runs in the fifth, Doc was the cyborg Toronto fans were accustomed to seeing for more than a decade.
Ryan Howard’s RBI single in the first moved him ahead of Bobby Abreu on the Phillies all-time RBI list, where he now sits at 8th, with 815 in 958 games. Next on the list is Pat Burrell, who had 827 in 1306 games.
Here’s Rauch getting tossed and losing his shirt.
Things may be a little light the rest of the weekend, with most of us being out of town for the holiday weekend. My vacation also beginnnnnss now. Hope everyone has a great 4th of July.
Photo by Tom Szczerbowski-US Presswire
|charles murphy on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Robert Matthews on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|ericsaxon35 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Brian Grasso on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages