Sep 9, 2011, 2:15 AM EST
The Brewers have been a scary team when playing at home in Wisconsin this season. Coming into tonight’s game they were a very impressive 50-19 at Miller Park. But none of those games were played against the Phillies and their reserves!
Sure Hunter Pence knocked in three RBIs, but you’ve still got to give it to the Phillies bench players who filled in admirably this evening and helped earn Cole Hamels his 14th win in a fantastic complete game, four-hit effort.
Thursday’s game was a bit of a pitching duel through five innings, but that was before the Phillies blew the game open in a 6-run sixth inning.
Every starting position player notched at least one hit in support of Cole Hamels. Wilson Valdez, Hunter Pence, JMJ, and Ben Francisco (Lives!) all contributed a pair of hits and Charlie says the reserves have to feel good about their effort.
“When your reserves get in there they want to show they’ve earned the right to be on the team and contribute,” Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury. “That can bring your team completely together. I guarantee you they feel good about themselves.”
Aside from the Phillies getting a real nice win while their core was sidelined there wasn’t a whole lot to say about this one. Hamels didn’t have his strikeout stuff, and allowed two solo blasts, but showed he can go deep into games. A wonderful sign if you were looking to see it out of him.
One random observation from the game: did the Brewers defense look like the kind of defense you’d expect from a World Series contender? It was a simple reminder at just how sound the Phillies are in the field.
Also, how awesome was Larry Andersen going down the Bernie Brewer Slide?
Finally, best fake conversation between Shane Victorino and Jerry Hairston Jr. wins our admiration. Go.
|caliphornian on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|BenE. on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages