Sep 9, 2011, 2:15 AM EDT
The Brewers have been a scary team when playing at home in Wisconsin this season. Coming into tonight’s game they were a very impressive 50-19 at Miller Park. But none of those games were played against the Phillies and their reserves!
Sure Hunter Pence knocked in three RBIs, but you’ve still got to give it to the Phillies bench players who filled in admirably this evening and helped earn Cole Hamels his 14th win in a fantastic complete game, four-hit effort.
Thursday’s game was a bit of a pitching duel through five innings, but that was before the Phillies blew the game open in a 6-run sixth inning.
Every starting position player notched at least one hit in support of Cole Hamels. Wilson Valdez, Hunter Pence, JMJ, and Ben Francisco (Lives!) all contributed a pair of hits and Charlie says the reserves have to feel good about their effort.
“When your reserves get in there they want to show they’ve earned the right to be on the team and contribute,” Charlie Manuel told Jim Salisbury. “That can bring your team completely together. I guarantee you they feel good about themselves.”
Aside from the Phillies getting a real nice win while their core was sidelined there wasn’t a whole lot to say about this one. Hamels didn’t have his strikeout stuff, and allowed two solo blasts, but showed he can go deep into games. A wonderful sign if you were looking to see it out of him.
One random observation from the game: did the Brewers defense look like the kind of defense you’d expect from a World Series contender? It was a simple reminder at just how sound the Phillies are in the field.
Also, how awesome was Larry Andersen going down the Bernie Brewer Slide?
Finally, best fake conversation between Shane Victorino and Jerry Hairston Jr. wins our admiration. Go.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money