Jul 16, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
After last night’s 7-2 final in Flushing Meadows, the Phillies have put themselves in position to claim their seventh straight series victory with a win today. And, considering the pitching match up, the odds don’t look half bad, as Cole Hamels squares off against Jon Niese.
The left-handed Niese enters today’s game with an 8-7 record and 3.88 ERA. Despite starting 18 games this season, his last outing was as a reliever on July 10th against the San Francisco Giants. Niese surrendered two runs on two hits in just one-third of an inning in his only relief appearance of the season. And, though he pitched well against the Phils in first three seasons in the majors (3 GP, 1-1 W-L, 2.14 ERA, 21.0 IP), 2011 has not been so kind (3 GP, 1-2 W-L, 4.32 ERA, 16.2 IP).
For the Phillies, All-Star Cole Hamels sports the second lowest ERA (2.32) and the only WHIP below 1.00 (0.93) amongst starting pitchers in the National League. As if that isn’t killer enough, check out this gem from MLB.com’s Quinn Roberts:
Charlie’s lineup for the day is as follows: Rollins SS, Mayberry CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Francisco RF, Ibanez LF, Ruiz C, Valdez 3B, Hamels P.
First pitch is scheduled for 4:05 p.m. and can be seen on Fox. Though we have no knowledge of whether or not this is true, bflo360.blogspot.com claims Kenny Albert and Mark Grace appear probable in the announce booth. See you, post-game.
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|BirdGangT on With $13 million guaranteed, J…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return