Jul 16, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
After last night’s 7-2 final in Flushing Meadows, the Phillies have put themselves in position to claim their seventh straight series victory with a win today. And, considering the pitching match up, the odds don’t look half bad, as Cole Hamels squares off against Jon Niese.
The left-handed Niese enters today’s game with an 8-7 record and 3.88 ERA. Despite starting 18 games this season, his last outing was as a reliever on July 10th against the San Francisco Giants. Niese surrendered two runs on two hits in just one-third of an inning in his only relief appearance of the season. And, though he pitched well against the Phils in first three seasons in the majors (3 GP, 1-1 W-L, 2.14 ERA, 21.0 IP), 2011 has not been so kind (3 GP, 1-2 W-L, 4.32 ERA, 16.2 IP).
For the Phillies, All-Star Cole Hamels sports the second lowest ERA (2.32) and the only WHIP below 1.00 (0.93) amongst starting pitchers in the National League. As if that isn’t killer enough, check out this gem from MLB.com’s Quinn Roberts:
Charlie’s lineup for the day is as follows: Rollins SS, Mayberry CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Francisco RF, Ibanez LF, Ruiz C, Valdez 3B, Hamels P.
First pitch is scheduled for 4:05 p.m. and can be seen on Fox. Though we have no knowledge of whether or not this is true, bflo360.blogspot.com claims Kenny Albert and Mark Grace appear probable in the announce booth. See you, post-game.
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages