Jul 10, 2011, 1:15 PM EST
Ah, the All Star Break… four days without Phillies baseball, which is pretty much the only reprieve from these brutal long summer days. It’s especially awful from a news standpoint with two of the big four locked out. You would think somebody would try to take advantage of the lull and throw a major tennis tournament or big race in there. Something. But no. We get the ESPYs, which is basically four hours of ESPN patting themselves on the back. Nice job, Bristol.
As for today, Cole Hamels (10-4, 2.40) takes the ball to stave off the city of Philadelphia’s boredom for at least one more afternoon. He’s also charged with holding down the Atlanta Braves, who throw a familiar foe in Derek Lowe (5-6, 4.21) in their bid for a series win.
Lowe is 8-5 with a 2.99 ERA in his career versus the Phillies, and even though he is not having his best season, he can still bring it. On the other side, Cole is having his best season to date, but by virtue of pitching today, he will not be available for the All Star Game. Bummer.
Because after this, that’s all that’s left for a few days, folks. That, and Chris Berman reciting, “Back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back…”
Over and over and over again.
And over again.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages