Aug 16, 2011, 8:58 PM EST
Before Tuesday night’s game between the Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks, the team unveiled a fan-donated statue of legendary broadcaster Harry Kalas. Merion native Larry Nowlan sculpted the 7.5-foot bronze figure. Harry will now stand in the concourse on the third base side of Harry the K’s forever. His right hand is adorned with the 2008 World Series Championship ring, grips a microphone, and leans on a bat. It really is an outstanding likeness.
Bruce Adams of the Daily Local News has more on the statue and the sculptor, and John Gonzalez covered the unveiling for CSNPhilly. Below, some screencaps of the statue, which was unveiled by Jimmy Rollins and Steve Carlton, as well as video shot by fans at the unveiling.
Harry’s son, Kane Kalas, was on hand, dressed like his old man in white shoes and a blazer, and sang God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch.
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages