May 27, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Ahh, yes. Memorial Day Weekend is upon us. Hopefully you’re reading this on your iPhone while sitting beachside down the shore — worst case scenario you’re in some traffic on the Atlantic City Expressway. If you do happen to be sitting in an office, we’re sorry. It’ll get better.
Memorial Day Weekend is a time to take it easy, and with that, the Phillies will kick off a three game set against the Mets in New York before a quick trip south to face the Nationals. Beating up on the dregs of the NL East is how the Phillies can put some distance between themselves and the rest of the NL. The Phillies should beat up on the Mets and Nats. That’s what they were built to do.
You have to like the Phils pitching matchups this weekend with Roy Oswalt kicking it off tonight against left-hander Chris Capuano, followed by Hamels vs. Pelfrey, and finally Worley vs. Niese on Sunday. Even the Phillies fill-in fifth starter instills a pretty nice level of confidence in Phillies fans when facing the Mets.
Hopefully the Phils caught up on their sleep last night after the wild two wins in roughly 16 hours on Thursday. The wacky 19-inning game counts just the same as any other in the win column, but pulling that out with the team rallying behind Danys Baez and Wilson Valdez seemed to increase morale amongst the team and the fanbase more than any other victory this season.
The Mets, of course, have been going through some franchise drama that is hilarious to outsiders rooting for other teams, but must be truly painful for the Flushing Faithful. You almost feel bad for… No. No, you don’t almost feel bad for them.
First pitch tonight scheduled for 7:10. Any Philadelphians heading up the turnpike to take in a game at Citi? Or transplants showing their support?
Enjoy the weekend. Eat some ice cream. Keep your beer cold. Go Phils.
A quick note on another Mets matter, Mike Missanelli recently took an opportunity to call Mets fans “half-human, obnoxious, drunks.” While we dislike Mets fans as much as the next Phillies fan, Mikey Miss seems to be falling into the same stereotypical trap that we get so angry about national columnist using when talking about Philly fans. Metsblog also claims Phillies fans are still “obsessed” with New York. He’s wrong, of course. We just love a good laugh.
|TartanSixNine on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|FlyersFan on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money