May 30, 2012, 2:41 PM EST
With all the injuries the Mets have suffered, Scott Hairston has probably been in the lineup a lot more than hoped when the team re-signed him to a one-year deal during the offseason. That said, they can’t be upset with what they’re getting out of the journeyman outfielder. The nine-year vet has started 21 games for New York, batting .264 with six home runs and 21 RBI. His .859 OPS would be 18th in the National League if he had the plate appearances to qualify.
Unfortunately, he’s done the overwhelming majority of that damage against the Phillies.
With his two-run, pinch-hit blast off of Joe Blanton in the sixth inning on Tuesday, Hairston belted his third bomb off of Fightins pitching this season — half his total. In 19 at bats, he’s produced four runs and six RBI to go along with a .316 average and 1.152 OPS. In fact, he was similarly menacing in 2011, batting exactly .316 a season ago with three runs and seven RBI, though only one homer.
While Hairston is far more effective against left-handed pitching (.321) than right (.171), if I were Mets manager Terry Collins, this guy would not sit against the Phillies right now. Of course, with Cliff Lee going for the Phillies, you might not think Collins would have to make that decision tonight anyway, but that may not be the case. Hairston is 2-for-6 against Lee this season with a solo shot. However, he had never hurt Clifton up until this year. Lifetime, Hairston is 3-for-17 against the three-time All Star.
Regardless, he’s been a big part of the Mets rampage over the Phils in 2012. After last night’s insurance runs helped propel New York to a 6-3 victory, they increased their record to 6-2 against Philadelphia for the season.
|2sentz on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages