Aug 9, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
The view from the cellar is depressing, and there isn’t very much left to say. Obviously the Phillies can still catch Miami and New York and finish third in the NL East, yet we thought they were going to leave the Fish in the rearview mirror a couple weeks ago, and there they are. Still plenty of time to accomplish that much, I guess, and the way the Mets are plummeting, the Phils may not need to do anything to jump them.
My own goal for the Phillies of finishing .500 remains within reach as well, but becoming harder to fathom by the day. They’ve only made up two games on the mark since the All-Star break, and now would have to finish 31-20 to get there. That’s a .620 winning percentage the rest of the way, which seems outrageous given the recent clubhouse clearance sale coupled with the injury to Carlos Ruiz — not to mention the way they’ve played all season.
Obviously the team is going to go out and give it everything they’ve got every night. A bunch of these guys still have something to prove this season, either to themselves (Ryan Howard, Roy Halladay) or to the front office (Dom Brown, John Mayberry). Realistically though, we might be looking at 75 wins here, tops.
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages