Oct 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
Jaime Garcia has had a great deal of success against the Phillies in his four career starts against them. There is no denying that. Jayson Stark points out the staggering numbers, “In four starts against them over the last two seasons, he has allowed a TOTAL of three earned runs in 28 innings. That computes to a 0.96 ERA.”
All true. But let’s take a look at some of the guys who Jamie Garcia started against in the Phillies lineup in those four outings.
Juan Castro started one game at shortstop, Michael Martinez started one game in center field, Ben Francisco started three games in the outfield, Wilson Valdez started one game at second base, Dane Sardinha started one game at catcher, Brian Schneider started one game at catcher, Cody Ransom started one game at second base.
These are just a few more facts to consider. Hunter Pence was only on the team for one of those games (granted he was hitless), while today’s starter in left, John Mayberry (3-6 off Garcia), only started two of them.
So yes, Garcia has had success against the Phillies, but not necessarily Charlie Manuel’s favorite lineup that you’ll see today.
Garcia has been very, very good against the Phillies, including when facing a number of their stars like Rollins, Utley, Polanco, and Howard, but don’t automatically expect the same type of performance from Garcia tonight that you saw against the likes of Cody Ransom, Ben Francisco, and Juan Castro.
You can look at these numbers all you want, but then there’s the fact that Garcia has no post season stat line under his belt…
|Hunter Pence||15||15||3||1||1||1||2||=”border: 1px solid #ccc; padding: 2px 3px 2px 2px; white-space: nowrap; ” align=”right”>0||3||.200||.200||.600||.800|
|Ben on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|willh888 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|meankoalas on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|docdeath20 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return