Sep 27, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
Kyle Kendrick and his red hot late summer came back down to Earth last night against the Washington Nationals when he gave up three home runs in the first two innings and was promptly pulled after just 2.0 innings of work. Kendrick spoke after the game and made a point that it’s not easy being consistent in this game. If he went eight shutout innings every night he’d be the Cy Young.
Instead of 8 innings of shutout ball he finished with a line of 2.0 IP, 5 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned, 2 BB, 1 K, and those three long balls. Not consistent.
Not much of real interest came out of last night’s game. Jimmy Rollins went yard yet again. And Jayson Werth was making waves a bit — with both his bat and his antics.
As John Finger wrote last night, Werth got the last laugh this season with his Nationals heading to the postseason. Werth also made waves for faking a ball flip into the stands. Apparently he was just looking out for the children.
“Earlier in the game I flipped a ball into the seats to a fan and it
flipped off her hand and landed on someone else’s lap. Then a guy
reached over — a Phillies fan — and grabbed the ball off her lap and
threw it back onto the field,” Werth explained.
“In the ninth I
was going to flip the ball to a group of kids and behind them was all
these unruly, middle-aged men who to me appeared to be snarling. It’s
the ninth, so who knows. I got the sense that maybe they were
intoxicated. I was going to flip it to the kids and then thought maybe
not because of the group behind the little innocent children there,
remembering what happened earlier in right field.”
Appreciate the kindness of Werth to always keep the little innocent children first.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money