Jul 9, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
It’s sad when the All-Star Break feels like mercy. Instead of celebrating a solid first half of the season from Cole Hamels, Carlos Ruiz, and Jonathan Papelbon while watching some exhibition baseball in Kansas City over the next few days, Phillies fans are instead looking forward to the fact that their favorite team can’t dig their 2012 grave any further.
And I don’t know about you, but I’m not going out of my way to tune in on Tuesday.
The Phillies finished up their first half yesterday by getting swept at the hands of the Atlanta Braves. The number in front of “games back” seems to get larger every day. Hope isn’t just fading. It’s gone.
The vibe surrounding this team was captured perfectly in five simple words from former NL MVP and clubhouse leader Jimmy Rollins following the game yesterday.
Phil Sheridan does a great job setting up the scene in the clubhouse following the loss. Players didn’t want to answer questions from the media, which is pretty much the norm with the Phillies after a loss. And Jimmy provided the most perfect of brush-off lines as he walked away.
“Don’t waste your time, guys.”
US Presswire photo
And just for fun, here’s Charlie on why Shane Victorino was scratched on Sunday
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money