Sep 5, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
CITIZENS BANK PARK — Following yesterday’s long and ugly 14-inning affair, the Phillies could use a couple of fresh arms in their bullpen. David Herndon can only walk batters for so many innings. So it’s welcomed news that Joe Blanton has been activated from the 60-day DL this afternoon in time for the Braves three-game set in Philadelphia.
Kyle Kendrick was also activated from the paternity-leave list so the Phils will have two guys who can handle plenty of work out of the ‘pen. That said, Cliff Lee is tonight’s scheduled starter, so the pen may get the night off.
Blanton is somewhat of the forgotten man this season. He hasn’t pitched for the Phils since way back in mid-May, and Vance Worley has stepped in as a more than adequate fifth starter, so it wasn’t like fans were clamoring for Joe the Lumber to get back into the rotation.
He made only one rehab start with Lakewood over the weekend so it wasn’t like we saw this move coming for a while. At many points this summer, many believed Blanton’s season was over.
Charlie Manuel said before the game tonight that he’d like to be able to work Blanton in to a game under ideal circumstances, but if they need to throw him in in a tight spot, he won’t shy away from him.
Blanton’s only had that one rehab start during which he pitched one inning. So he’ll be limited to an inning or perhaps two.
“The most I’ve thrown in a rehab game the other day was 11 pitches,” Blanton said.
“That’s all I have to base off right now. Usually you can take that for
at least another inning I would imagine.”
How Charlie plans to use Blanton out of the pen remains to be seen, and Blanton’s not entirely sure himself.
“I’m just going to go out there and be ready at all times.”
“I’m glad to be able to come back and hopefully be able to help the team a little bit,” Blanton said.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages