Feb 22, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
Jonathan Papelbon came to the Phillies last offseason with expectations of winning a championship in Philadelphia while cashing those fat checks. The Phils fell way short of expectations in 2012 and Papelbon reflected a bit on last season while down in Clearwater yesterday. Specifically, he said they lacked leadership.
Now, this is a team with the likes of Chase Utley, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Rollins, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, etc. etc., so for Papelbon to speak out, he’s either trying to play mind games to get guys to really step up in 2013 or none of the guys I just mentioned seem to have what it takes to be a great leader. I find the latter a bit surprising.
Speaking to the Morning Call, Papelbon let his thoughts be known:
“Since I’ve been here I haven’t seen any leadership,” he said.
good team that I’ve been a part of has had a good core group of
veterans and an influx of a good group of young guys and I think that’s a
recipe for success,” he said. “But at the same time, that doesn’t mean
we’re going to have success. In my opinion, this team has way more to
lose than to prove. I think a lot of guys on this team have proved a
lot. But I think this year if we don’t go out and do what we’re capable
[of] and supposed to do, then we have a lot more to lose.”
I’m curious what some of the longer tenured guys on the team would say about Papelbon pointing out he hasn’t seen any leadership.
Like I said above, I’m not entirely sure if this is some sort of mind game or if Pap really believes there was no leadership last season. How do you interpret his words?
|luke jenkins on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|dawkisgod on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Tom on The ‘Group of Death…|
|yishmeister on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages