Feb 22, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
Jonathan Papelbon came to the Phillies last offseason with expectations of winning a championship in Philadelphia while cashing those fat checks. The Phils fell way short of expectations in 2012 and Papelbon reflected a bit on last season while down in Clearwater yesterday. Specifically, he said they lacked leadership.
Now, this is a team with the likes of Chase Utley, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Rollins, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, etc. etc., so for Papelbon to speak out, he’s either trying to play mind games to get guys to really step up in 2013 or none of the guys I just mentioned seem to have what it takes to be a great leader. I find the latter a bit surprising.
Speaking to the Morning Call, Papelbon let his thoughts be known:
“Since I’ve been here I haven’t seen any leadership,” he said.
good team that I’ve been a part of has had a good core group of
veterans and an influx of a good group of young guys and I think that’s a
recipe for success,” he said. “But at the same time, that doesn’t mean
we’re going to have success. In my opinion, this team has way more to
lose than to prove. I think a lot of guys on this team have proved a
lot. But I think this year if we don’t go out and do what we’re capable
[of] and supposed to do, then we have a lot more to lose.”
I’m curious what some of the longer tenured guys on the team would say about Papelbon pointing out he hasn’t seen any leadership.
Like I said above, I’m not entirely sure if this is some sort of mind game or if Pap really believes there was no leadership last season. How do you interpret his words?
|dialectician on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
|willh888 on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
|mike on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|No Hope on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages