Dec 13, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and slugging outfielder Josh Hamilton have reportedly come to terms on a contract believed to be of the 5-year variety. This now concludes many Phillies fans’ wet dreams prematurely.
The deal was reported by many people on Twitter. I first saw it via ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and Fox Sports’ Jon Morosi.
ESPN Dallas says the contract is a 5-year deal worth a reported $125 million. That’s a cool $25 million per year for you math majors.
I wouldn’t be shocked if we end up learning that Ruben Amaro Jr. did in fact offer a similar per year rate for something like three years, but I think most anticipated Hamilton not being a viable option in Philly due to Ruben’s aversion to lengthy contracts. They were never a serious contender for his services.
The Angels lineup will now be scary, scary good in 2013. The Phillies have Ben Revere.
Some reactions from around the web:
Angels lineup should be scary good in 2013 and 2014 and could be scary bad in 2016 and 2017.
— Bob Brookover (@brookob) December 13, 2012
Oh, and I’d rather the Phillies finish last than sign Nick Swisher and be forced to stare at his dumb pointy sideburns seven days a week.
— M̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶M̶e̶e̶c̶h̶ (@meechone) December 13, 2012
The Angels signed Joe Blanton! I mean, how can they NOT be favorites for the AL West. Stud right there.
— Amanda Orr (@amandax23) December 13, 2012
Totally fine with the phillies not signing Hamilton at that price. As I said, Hamilton fits the bill of the overpaid player from my research
— Matt Swartz (@Matt_Swa) December 13, 2012
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money