Jul 17, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
So far in this Phillies-Mets series, both teams have gotten their asses handed to them in one game while playing the role of the ass-handers in the other. Yesterday’s loss was something of an embarrassment for the Phils, with Cole Hamels once again getting knocked around by the Mets, who must be in the fine print in the contract he signed with the devil to get that changeup. Meanwhile, the offense was weak, making Jon Niese look like the Cy Young candidate pitching that day.
Today it’s Kyle Kendrick and Mike Pelfrey, with the Mets getting their second of two non-Ace starts this series due to Bruce Bochy using up both of Roy Halladay’s and Cliff Lee’s next turns in the All-Star Game.
Pelfrey is coming off of two straight solid starts, with his last, a 2-ER effort in San Francisco, being squandered via some offensive ineptitude. The Phillies have faced Pelfrey three times this season and tuned him up for 12 earned runs in 14 innings.
Neither offense is intact today, so no excuses about which Phils bats aren’t in the lineup. They have should have enough to get to Pelfrey.
With yesterday’s win, the Mets climbed a game above .500. I don’t like that one bit. Time to wipe that smug off their heads, take them back to decidedly average, and let the Nats climb ahead of them in the middling, non-threatening portion of the NL East standings (heading into Sunday’s action: Mets 11 GB, Nats 11.5).
If the Phils turn in another performance like yesterday’s, there’s always the women’s World Cup Final featuring the US and Japan at 2 PM.
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money