Jun 7, 2012, 12:01 PM EST
The Phillies announced today that longtime catcher Mike Lieberthal will be inducted into the team’s Wall of Fame on August 10th in a ceremony before a game against the St. Louis Cardinals. You may best remember Lieberthal for his days as part of the “black hole” at the bottom of the Phillies lineup alongside David Bell, but Lieby was a respectable catcher and lasted quite a while on a slew of mediocre Phillies teams.
A two-time All-Star, Lieberthal holds the club record for 10-consecutive opening day starts as catcher. He
finished as the Phillies all-time leader among catchers in games caught
(1,139), home runs (149) and hits (1,128).
He’ll join Bob Boone and Dutch Daulton as the other two catchers on the Phillies Wall of Fame.
Mini Mart Lives
Contrary to rumors on a popular Internet website, Michael Martinez is not dead (click on this link). In fact, Martinez was recalled from Lehigh Valley this afternoon to take Freddy Galvis’ spot on the roster. Galvis hit the DL after tweaking his back last night. We had speculated that Pete Orr would return, but the Phillies opted for Mini Mart instead. Get excited.
Hamels As Stopper
The Phillies are desperate for a win after giving up leads in two-straight games and dropping a season-long 5 in a row overall. They’ll turn to Cole Hamels this afternoon, the team’s current ace, to try and get back in the win column.
The Dodgers will counter with Aaron Harang who is 4-3 with a 3.90 ERA in 11 starts.
The pitching hasn’t necessarily been the problem, though, so Charlie’s ragtag lineup will have to string together some hits and put some runs on the board.
1:05 start from CBP.
Today’s lineup vs. LA: Rollins SS, Pierre LF, Pence RF, Wigginton 3B, Victorino CF, Fontenot 2B, Mayberry 1B, Schneider C, Hamels P.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) June 7, 2012
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages