Sep 3, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
As chroniclers of Philadelphia sports it’d be a serious dereliction of duty if we failed to include a post on the occasion of the Phillies going 42 games over .500 for the first time in franchise history.
Last night’s 5-3 win over the Marlins was history-making. It’s September 3rd and the Phillies are sitting on 88 wins. If they simply play .500 baseball the rest of the way they’ll end the season with 102 wins.
It may be difficult to appreciate this accomplishment in the midst of the season (in a can’t see the forest from the trees sort of way), but the achievement is remarkable. The Phillies have been playing baseball for 128 years. Think about that. 128 years.
Do you know how much gas cost back in 1883? Neither do I. No one does – other than perhaps Jamie Moyer. You know why? Because the internal combustion engine had not yet been invented. They didn’t even have the internet back then. I know, right?
Yeah, that’s how long the Phillies have been playing baseball. And now, here on September 3, 2011 they sit 42 games over .500 for the first time ever.
We’re often reminded that it’s the journey that’s important, not the destination. Never is that more true than right now. Yes, this is a World Sries or bust season, but if you can’t stop to appreciate just how good this team really is then you’re missing out.
Ten, thirty, fifty years from now people will be talking about this team and this pitching staff. It’s remarkable. It’s unprecedented. Frankly, it’s stunning.
You’re witnessing history. Enjoy the remaining 28 games.
|2sentz on The 12 best photos from the Ea…|
|duffman on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|docdeath20 on The 12 best photos from the Ea…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages