Apr 14, 2013, 12:43 AM EDT
Get to know Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, a
20-year-old right-hander from Cuba with a 96 mph fastball and absolutely filthy
stuff. His six-inning, two-hit performance on the hill and RBI single at the
dish set the tone for the Phillies’ 2-1 loss on Saturday night, an effort that was made
all the more impressive with the revelation that Fernandez struggles with simple,
everyday tasks such as putting on a jacket.
Making his second Major League start, Fernandez had just put
his team ahead 1-0 with his first career base hit when he called into the dugout for his jacket. Hilarity ensued.
As you can see from the GIF that comes to us courtesy of
Hardball Talk, Fernandez struggled with an inside-out sleeve, then fumbled around with
a stuck zipper – based upon which most jacket operators could probably surmise he had already run into some
problems earlier. At one point first-base umpire Chris Guccione even walks over to
assist the highly-skilled professional athlete, but that does little to expedite the transition
from jacketless to jacketed.
This went on for awhile before he eventually pulled the synthetic material over
his head to a round of cheers.
Despite the superb start, the Marlins almost couldn’t get
out of their own way. They handed the Phillies their lone run in the seventh off of a throwing error
by second baseman Donovan Solano.
The late-inning magic was on the home team’s
side on this night however. Phillippe Aumont surrendered a lead-off walk to Placido Polanco,
then watched as his defense betrayed him. Greg Dobbs’ sharply hit single off of Kevin Frandsen
subbing at first got Polanco to third, followed two batters later by Chase Utley’s bobble in the infield grass as Polly was racing to the plate.
The good news is Cole Hamels was much better in his third
start this season, carrying a no-hitter into the fifth inning, and ultimately allowing one
run and three hits through six frames of work. The bad news is as bad as the
Marlins are, they still managed to steal a game from the Phils – plus we
learned there is another electrifying, young pitcher to watch out for in NL
>> BOX SCORE [Yahoo!]
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return