Jun 10, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
It seems a lot of fans could not even muster a proper sense of outrage after the Phillies took their latest tumble in Milwaukee over the weekend, which probably says all it needs to about where expectations are at. So with that in mind, we thought we’d try a little reverse psychology: it’s not so bad.
Sure, the Phils spoiled whatever small amount of good will they may have gained by climbing above .500 for the first time this season last Thursday by promptly dropping two games below the mark. Yes, they slid back into third place behind the banged-up Nationals and lost more ground to the imposing Braves, falling 8.5 games back in the NL East, their largest deficit of the season.
But cheer up, Philly fans. After a 9-1 loss to the Brewers on Sunday, Michael Young told reporters everything will be all right.
“The sky is not falling,” third baseman Michael Young said. “We had a little rough stretch here. We definitely didn’t play our best baseball, without a doubt. We have to make a quick adjustment here on this road trip.”
Milwaukee was supposed to provide the Phillies a golden opportunity to get above .500 and stay there. Instead, they dropped five of seven to the irrelevant Brew Crew over a 10-day span. Most people are beyond believing tinkering can fix that.
Hey, maybe the Brewers just had their number this year. It happens. There’s still plenty more mediocre competition for the Fightins to run through in the month of June with not a single opponent currently in possession of a winning record. Of course, it’s a distinction that continues to include the Phillies, so…
Adjust away. There’s a lot of time left before the trade deadline.
Is there anybody else out there who doesn’t think it’s too late? Are you feeling any emotions toward this team at all?
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money