May 13, 2011, 3:08 PM EST
Bryce Harper, the 18-year-old phenom drafted by the Washington Nationals, is hitting like crazy in the South Atlantic League. We linked to some very, very high praise of the kid yesterday in our “Recommended Reading,” but found another interesting article on the youngster today.
Turns out, Bryce’s vision was so awful his optometrist wondered how he ever hit a baseball. After getting setup with a fresh new pair of contacts a few weeks ago to correct this issue, Harper has been hitting the cover off the ball.
But none of that has anything to do with Philly directly, until later in the article when Harper talks about some fans in West Virginia heckling him.
From the Washington Post article on Harper’s contacts and adjustment to professional baseball.
In West Virginia, Harper also endured the taunts of one particularly
obnoxious fan who peppered him all series with, among other things,
vulgarities pertaining to his mother and sister — stuff that was
described by one person who was there as “the most vile things I’ve ever
heard anyone say, on or off a baseball field.”
Asked about that
experience, Harper acknowledged having heard all of it. But then he
shrugged again and said, “It’s just getting me ready for Philly.”
We’ve pretty much heard it all as Philadelphia fans, but comparing us to West Virginians?
Thanks to wildcatterp for the tip.
|Adam B on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|psudrozz on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|The Bees Knees on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Joe B on Photos: Temple Basketball will…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages