Oldest Living American Resides in Phillies Spring Training Home of Clearwater, Which Clearly Means… Something
Jan 31, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
When the Phillies report to spring training down in Clearwater, Florida next month, Chase Utley will be a year older. Ryan Howard and his Achilles will be a year older. Roy Halladay will be a year older. Everyone is going to be older. Life works like that. That’s what all of their detractors love to point out. But at least none of them were born in the 19th century like Clearwater neighbor Elsie Thompson who is just about two months away from her 114th birthday, making her the oldest living American and fifth oldest person in the world.
The Tampa Bay Times recently profiled Mrs. Thompson after she became the oldest living American a couple of weeks back.
Born on April 5, 1899, during the William McKinley administration, she
is one of the few human beings left on Earth who drew breath during the
19th century. There are only 14 of those people left — only six are
She even grew up in Pennsylvania and went to high school with Jamie Moyer.
“It’s one thing to be 110. It’s another thing to be 113,” [UCLA gerontologist] Young said.
“If 110 is like being in the major leagues, 113 is like the all-star
I don’t really know what any of this has to do with anything Phillies-related. But they are old. And so is Elsie.
>>Clearwater woman is oldest living American [Tampa Bay Times]
|2sentz on Is Nate Allen good now, part o…|
|Jason R. on Donnie Jones the 12th man for…|
|Leenie on Is Nate Allen good now, part o…|
|willh888 on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages