Feb 25, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
We got our first glimpse of 2013 Phillies baseball on our televisions on Saturday and spent Sunday enjoying the sultry sounds of Scott Franzke and Larry Andersen on the old fashioned radio. Nothing overly exciting took place down in Florida this weekend, but all signs seem to be point to the positive, which is all you can hope for out of Spring Training action. Here are a couple of the story lines from their first weekend.
Roy Halladay said he was feeling good in his first start on Sunday with his velocity sitting right between 89-91, which scouts say is just fine for the first performance of spring. If you’ll remember back to last season, Roy’s lack of velocity was one of the early signs that something just wasn’t right with the ace. So far, so good this spring after just 22 pitches.
Opposing hitters were even more impressed. From Sully:
“He was filthy,” said Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter, who struck out on a
1-2 changeup in the first inning. “I hadn’t faced him in a couple of
years. He looked good. His fastball was sneaky. It had that late life.
It was sinking and cutting. If he gets better from here, it’s scary.”
Dom Brown has made an early statement in the outfield battle, notching a home run, and putting together four hits in three games (including the intra-squad game). Charlie quote from David Murphy:
“We’ve got 10 outfielders, and somewhere along the line,
probably about two-thirds of the way through spring training, we’re
going to have to make decisions on at least four of them,” Manuel said.
“We’re going to try to get them all some playing time where we can see
them enough. If somebody jumps out and really gets going, like Brown
right now, the last three days he’s really swung good. He’s played good
in the outfield, things like that. We could settle on a guy or
And Ryan Howard is looking spry on the base paths. The Phils are back at it this afternoon with Cliff Lee taking his turn to make our hearts flutter simply by seeing him on the mound. The game against the Tigers is scheduled to air on TCN at 1:05. Any takeaways from the first weekend that you liked / didn’t like?
And Ryan Howard is looking spry on the base paths.
The Phils are back at it this afternoon with Cliff Lee taking his turn to make our hearts flutter simply by seeing him on the mound. The game against the Tigers is scheduled to air on TCN at 1:05.
Any takeaways from the first weekend that you liked / didn’t like?
|Andrew Kulp on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|db21 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|ochospantalones on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|iglue on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return