Jun 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
Word first broke via the Lehigh Valley IronPigs twitter around 9:40 pm EST that the Phillie Phanatic was sidelined during his trip to Coca-Cola Park after being hit by a foul ball.
“The Phanatic will not perform again tonight as a precautionary measure after being hit by a foul ball,” was the official word.
Wednesday was “World Famous Phillie Phanatic appearance” night in the Valley, according to the IronPigs website.
We assume the Phanatic was unavailable for comment following the game (because he can’t speak), but he likely gestured a “Suck It” sign in the general vicinity of the guy who fouled the ball off at him. We assume that means he’ll be just fine when the Phillies return home to face the Athletics in Inter-League play on Friday.
In the dire instance that the Phanatic were unable to perform at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia this weekend, we know a guy with a pretty high VORP (Value Over Replacement Phanatic).
REAL NEWS UPDATE: Turns out the Phanatic was actually hurt badly enough where he needed to go to the hospital. From the Morning Call, “The Phanatic was entertaining behind the first-base dugout in the top of the third inning when one of the Indianapolis Indians fouled a ball into his neck, a spot that roughly corresponds to Burgoyne’s head.”
Video via NBCPhilly:
View more videos at: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com.
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages