Jan 11, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
With all of the buzz around Ryan Madson heading to the Reds and other MLB teams making minor moves, we almost missed a small item about one of our own with potentially huge implications for Phillies fans.
Clearly one of the most important players on the Phillies for years to come (we hope) will be World Series MVP Cole Hamels. Most expected Hamels’ camp and Ruben Amaro Jr. to sit down once the rest of the roster was ironed out and come up with a longterm contract agreement that works well for both sides.
Yesterday, we learned that that longterm agreement may not be coming — at least not this time around.
Here’s what assistant GM Scott Proefrock had to say, from CSN’s Jim Salisbury:
“We’ve had discussions with Cole,” assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said during an appearance on Comcast SportsNet’s Phillies Hot Stove on Tuesday night. “Right now, we’re focused on a one-year deal.”
It’s not what Phillies fans wanted to hear, per se, but hopefully things will work themselves out in time.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money