Apr 25, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
It’s never a bad time to head out to San Diego for a few days, whether you’re coming off a few straight home wins or a series loss to the Brewers. It’s really quite lovely out there.
The Phils will open a four-game series at Petco Park tonight with Roy Oswalt taking on Mat Latos. A quick look at the matchup annnnd a picture of our favorite sign currently sitting outside a random bar in New York, after the jump.
RoyO is making his first start since leaving his last turn a bit early after tweaking his back. Through 6 IP in each of his three starts, Oswalt hasn’t allowed more than 2 ER in any outing. But, with a history that includes some back issues, we’re watching to see if he’s fully recovered from the spasms that locked him up last time out.
Latos is 0-2 with a 5.84 ERA, which is surprising given two things. One, Latos had a breakout season in 2010, with a 2.92 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP in 31 starts. Two, his 2011 WHIP is just shy of 1.00 at 0.97. With only two starts’ worth of a sample size, we shouldn’t be reading much into stats just yet. Latos started the season on the DL with a right shoulder strain, and after a solid start in his debut, he gave up 5 ER on 4 hits in 6.1 innings last time out. In 12.1 innings pitched, Latos has given up just 8 hits, but 3 of them have left the yard. Just WAIT til he has to face Sultans Shane and Placido…
Latos is a good young pitcher, and it’s doubtful that 5/6 of his baserunners will score tonight, as was the case in his last start. Still, while correction is on the way for Latos at some point, it may not come in his third start of the season. Padres fans may yet have another appearance or two to worry about his 2010 inning spike and any residual fatigue.
Ya know what I did the last time I was at Petco Park? I watched the Mets lose. Boom, related.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money