Jan 27, 2012, 1:24 PM EST
The Phillies had admitted to wanting to add some speed to their bench this offseason so they went out and signed Jim Thome. Wait, sorry, he was the power guy. Today, they got some of that speed.
It’s just aging speed.
The Phillies agreed to terms with former speedster and currently mediocre-fast 34-year-old Juan Pierre to a minor league deal. You probably best remember the crooked-capped Pierre from his days with the Florida Marlins, but he spent last season in the South Side of Chicago playing for the White Sox.
It’s believed Pierre will compete for the 5th outfielder spot alongside Dom Brown, Scott Podsednik, and Jim Salisbury tosses Lou Montanez name into the mix.
>>Phillies sign speedster Pierre [CSN]
Perhaps Pierre and his old Marlins’ teammate Dontrelle Willis can do a remix of their World Championship rap (video below), but this time for the Phillies after cruising down Broad Street.
And check out some of these truly ugly numbers from David Hale:
A few quick statistical notes on Pierre from last season:
– He finished with the second most outs among AL players with 507.
– His OPS+ of 80 was the fifth-lowest in the AL.
– His 61 percent success rate on stolen bases was the lowest among all AL players with at least 20 attempts.
– His 3.2 percent extra-base hit rate was the lowest among all AL players.
|dawkisgod on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Tom on The ‘Group of Death…|
|yishmeister on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|clmull on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages