Jan 27, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
The Phillies had admitted to wanting to add some speed to their bench this offseason so they went out and signed Jim Thome. Wait, sorry, he was the power guy. Today, they got some of that speed.
It’s just aging speed.
The Phillies agreed to terms with former speedster and currently mediocre-fast 34-year-old Juan Pierre to a minor league deal. You probably best remember the crooked-capped Pierre from his days with the Florida Marlins, but he spent last season in the South Side of Chicago playing for the White Sox.
It’s believed Pierre will compete for the 5th outfielder spot alongside Dom Brown, Scott Podsednik, and Jim Salisbury tosses Lou Montanez name into the mix.
>>Phillies sign speedster Pierre [CSN]
Perhaps Pierre and his old Marlins’ teammate Dontrelle Willis can do a remix of their World Championship rap (video below), but this time for the Phillies after cruising down Broad Street.
And check out some of these truly ugly numbers from David Hale:
A few quick statistical notes on Pierre from last season:
– He finished with the second most outs among AL players with 507.
– His OPS+ of 80 was the fifth-lowest in the AL.
– His 61 percent success rate on stolen bases was the lowest among all AL players with at least 20 attempts.
– His 3.2 percent extra-base hit rate was the lowest among all AL players.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return