Aug 6, 2011, 6:38 PM EST
Cole Hamels had a lead before he ever stepped on the mound on Saturday afternoon in San Francisco and he would never relinquish it.
Jimmy Rollins started things off by blasting a ball to right field high off the wall — a home run in most ball parks, good for a double at AT&T Park — and Hunter Pence knocked him in. Chase Utley would score moments later on a passed ball (nice play Whiteside! shoulda saved your hops for that) and the Phillies took a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Cole then took the hill, and it was game over.
[Previously: Fox's Cole Hamels Key to the Game: Drop a Deuce?]
Hamels was dealing, throwing first pitch strike after first pitch strike, and held the Giants scoreless until the ninth inning. The only mistake he made was on a pitch to Pablo Sandoval that got bashed into the stands in left field, but that allowed for a nice moment in and of itself.
A Giants fan made a real nice running catch on the home run ball, and celebrated by running along the first row, high-fiving everyone along the way. Until he ran past some Phillies fans that is. They totally left him hanging.
Then, on the next pitch, Orlando Cabrera grounded out to short to end the game.
Cole Hamels, ladies and gentlemen. And the Phillies win the first three in San Fran and look for the statement four game sweep tomorrow afternoon.
Injury Update: One piece of unfortunate news on an otherwise good day is that Placido Polanco had to come out of the game with a hip issue. He’ll get an MRI to determine the extent of it.
|Tom on #AskFakeWIPCaller: A Philly Sp…|
|Tom on Must See TV – Reggie Whi…|
|jamesisajeweler on CAKE CAKE CAKE: What taste bet…|
|Tony on CAKE CAKE CAKE: What taste bet…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages