Apr 20, 2011, 12:49 AM EST
Carlos Ruiz’s 8-game hitting streak ended this afternoon, but that didn’t stop Chooch from delivering a game-changing swing in the eighth inning as he lifted a fly deep enough to center to score Ryan Howard from third and put the Phillies up 3-2. Jose Contreras did his best Brad Lidge impression, walking a pair and making us sweat by putting the tying run on third and the go-ahead run on second, but eventually forced the final out on an infield grounder. Phils won it 3-2 and prevent their first series loss of the season.
The Fightins took an early lead off the bat of Placido Polanco, who lifted what looked like either a potential flyball out or double off the wall, but was carried by the wind into the first row of the seats in right center. It was Polly’s first homer since July 22nd of last season.
Raul Ibanez added a clutch RBI of his own, but also misplayed a bunch of balls in the outfield. Wind or no, Raul’s mishaps were not pretty, and he’d tell you he should make those plays.
Cole Hamels pitched well for most of the game, but found himself in a bit of trouble in the sixth. He limited the Marlins damage to two runs, which kept the Phillies in a position to win it in the eighth.
For those of you with tickets to Monday’s game against the Brewers expecting to see Roy Halladay, thank Mother Nature for giving you a Joe Blanton start instead.
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages