May 30, 2011, 9:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a vintage Doc performance – he surrendered 4 runs on 10 hits (including three solo home runs), but made pitches when he had to.
Big Roy fought through the heat and took care of business in the seventh after he giving up a leadoff double to Alex Cora. Ian Desmond, who was simply trying to sacrifice Cora over to thrid, bunted down the third base line for a base hit. Doc was able to bear down and got Rick Ankiel to ground a sharply hit ball back to him, which he fired home to Carlos Ruiz, who flipped to Placido Polanco who caught Cora in a rundown.
Danny Espinosa then flew out to left for the second out. Halladay saw his way out of the jam by striking out Jayson Werth to end the inning.
Ryan Howard and Raul Ibanez provided most of the offense – each hitting a solo shot and knocking in two. Ibanez added a crucial sacrifice fly in the top of the seventh, plating Chase Utley with the eventual game winning run.
The Phils bullpen took over from there as Antonio Bastardo, Jose Contreras, and Ryan Madson combined to pitch two hitless innings. Game two of the three game series is Tuesday night. Cliff Lee faces Jason Marquis. It’s a 7:05 start time.
Photo Credit: Brad Mills-US PRESSWIRE
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money