Jul 31, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
When Charlie Manuel handed over Saturday night’s lineup card—the first with ‘Pence’ scrawled below ‘Howard’—it included a whopping eight players who have been All-Stars at least once in their career. In fact, all but two have been All-Stars more than once. Here’s a look at the ASG resumes of last night’s Phillies starters, plus today’s lineup and pitching matchup.
Jimmy Rollins (2001, 2002, 2005)
Shane Victorino (2009, 2011)
Chase Utley (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Ryan Howard (2006, 2009, 2010)
Hunter Pence (2009, 2011)
Raul Ibanez (2009)
Placido Polanco (2007, 2011)
Cliff Lee (2008, 2010, 2011)
Now, we all know the process of becoming an All-Star isn’t the purest representation of the league’s elite talent in a given season, from fan voting to manager selections and franchise representation, but that’s still pretty amazing.
Today, Polly will get some rest, with Michael Martinez taking over at the hot corner. Chooch also gets the afternoon off, and obviously Clifton won’t be in the lineup today (although if there’s a need for a pinch-hitter…).
Vance Worley will face righty Jeff Karstens, who boasts a nice 8-5, 2.41/1.07 line. Karstens topped the Phillies on June 3rd, allowing just one run on four hits and no walks over seven innings. Since that time, he’s pitched three zero-ER starts and not allowed more than three earned in any outing.
Hunter Pence’s career numbers against Karstens? 8-19 for a .421 average, a homer and two RBI.
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return