Jul 9, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
John Lannan was awesome on Monday night in the Phils series-opening victory over his former team, the Washington Nationals. Lannan got a standing ovation when he exited after completing the 8th inning with a zero under the Nationals’ score. He allowed just four hits while striking out four and handing out two free passes. It’s the kind of night you’d love to see Cole Hamels have this evening.
Hamels (3-11, 4.38) hasn’t had that lengthy of clean outing all season. He’s only pitched 8.0 innings or more on two occasions this year, and he hasn’t done it since May 4th.
He is, however, coming off of two decent outings against the Pirates and Padres in which the Phils got the wins with Cole tossing 7.0 and 6.0 innings respectively.
Hamels will be up against right-hander Taylor Jordan (0-1, 2.70) this evening who is making just his third career start. Here’s what you need to know about him from CSN:
A ninth-round pick in 2009, Jordan was 9-1 with a 1.00 ERA between Single A and Double A when the Nats called him up. He throws a four-seam fastball and a two-seam fastball in the 92-94 mph range and a slider and changeup in the low 80s. He’s thrown the sinker the most – about 46 percent of the time – and gotten beat the most with it. The opposition is 9 for 22 off it, compared to 2 for 20 against the other three offerings.
Just Say No to Joba
There were some troubling reports that the Phils could have some interest in Yankees’ Joba Chamberlain. Beerleaguer does a nice job pointing out why a trade for him would make little sense for the Phils.
7:05 start at the Bank this evening. Look for Kulp in the stands. He says anyone who yells at him will earn a beer on him.
|dawkisgod on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages