Aug 17, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Phillies are back at it and looking to rebound with a victory after last night’s disappointing loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks. In year’s past, we might have worried that a late-game loss could have done damage to the team’s psyche, putting added pressure on them to win the following night. But then we signed Cliff Lee to follow Roy Halladay, lost sight of our embarrassment of riches and stopped worrying about these things.
Phifer is set to due battle with Arizona’s Joe Saunders at 7:05.
The winner of his last three straight, Lee (12-7, 2.83 ERA, 1.09 WHIP) has not allowed a run in his last seventeen innings of work. In his last start, a 2-1 victory over the Dodgers at the Ravine, Cliff lasted eight innings, giving up 0 runs, 4 hits and 2 walks while striking out 10.
For the Diamondbacks, Joe Saunders (8-9, 3.76 ERA, 1.34 WHIP) enters tonight’s game following a no-decision performance against the Houston Astros. In that outing on the 11th of August, the Arizona starter was on the hook for 11 hits, 2 walks and 5 earned in just 6 innings pitched.
On the injury front for the Phils, Placido Polanco has been placed on the disabled list retroactive to August 7th as a result of still-problematic sports hernia.
In semi-related news, when asked about the “health” of Carlos Ruiz after last night’s all-too-uncomfortable-to-detail incident behind home plate, Charlie Manuel updated the media on the catcher’s condition. From the Twitter feed of CSN’s Leslie Gudel:
Never before has this fan group looked so apropos. With Brian Schneider in the 8th hole—giving Chooch the night off—here’s Charlie’s 8/17 lineup:
Rollins SS, Victorino CF, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Pence RF, Mayberry LF, Valdez 3B, Schneider C, Lee P
See you post-game.
|Tom on Union have real chance to make…|
|Craig on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|t800m101 on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|ochospantalones on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money