Jun 6, 2012, 1:47 PM EST
Sports Illustrated’s Tom Verducci recently caught up with 2010 NL MVP Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds and discovered a truly insane stat. In 2,821 career plate appearances in the big leagues, Votto has pulled only one foul ball into the stands. One. And he remembers it like it was yesterday.
“Sure, I remember it,” Votto said. “It was my rookie year
(in 2007). It wasn’t that deep — and maybe 20, 30 feet foul. I haven’t
hit a long home run foul in my whole career.”
I was stunned when Votto told me that. We were talking about pull
hitting last Friday because I was intrigued that he had not hit a home
run to rightfield all year. (Lo and behold, he smacked a Wandy Rodriguez
breaking ball into the rightfield seats about two hours later.)
So what does this have to do with the Phillies? Not a whole lot, but statistical wackiness like this is just mind blowing at times.
There is one Phillies tie-in, however. Votto is one of only 8 other players in all of baseball who has yet to hit a fly ball in the infield in 2012. The only Phillie on the list? Placido Polanco.
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|icdogg on Connor Barwin is … THE…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages