Jan 31, 2012, 11:59 AM EST
After opting not to make a serious move to bring back Brad Lidge as a potential setup man, the Phillies went out and signed another veteran in 33-year-old Chad Qualls to throw into the mix. From the Phillies:
San Diego Padres last season. In his final 19 appearances, he posted a
1.96 ERA and held opposing hitters to a .219 batting average. Qualls
made the eighth-most relief appearances among all major league pitchers
Over the past seven seasons (2005-11), Qualls has
made more appearances (512) than any other major league pitcher and
ranks second in relief wins (34), trailing only Jesse Crain (38).
His splits really stand out, and as David Murphy of the Daily News writes, it would be wise for Charlie to use him soley against right-handed hitters:
. . .can run through a righty or two or three in a late-and-close
situation. Last year, Qualls held righties to a .218/.255/.282 line with
28 strikeouts and eight walks in 156 at-bats.
. .should only be used against a lefty if the other options are Michael
Martinez and death. Qualls allowed a .320/.381/.500 line with 15
strikeouts, 12 walks and four home runs in 135 plate appearances against
southpaws last season. In 2010, lefties hit .392/.448/.583 in 135 plate
appearances against him.
I don’t know, everybody is talking about it being a low-risk move that will bring a veteran presence to a bullpen with youngsters like Mike Stutes and Antonio Bastardo, but isn’t that guy you just shoveled out $50 million for a veteran?
Should be interesting to see how the bullpen shapes up during spring training.
What may not be as interesting is watching Qualls pitch at CBP.
If nothing else, the Phillies now have a guy named “Chad” on their team.
Qualls is 2-2 with an 11.12 ERA at CBP. He has allowed 21 hits and 7 home runs in 11 1/3 innings. Ouch. #Phillies
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 31, 2012
|33 on Photos: The giant owl eyes now…|
|willh888 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages