May 15, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
General manager Ruben Amaro on Saturday night denied a report that the Phillies had signed Carlos Zambrano, calling it “ridiculously premature.”
It was premature, but ridiculously now governs a time span of about four days. The Phils signed Zambrano on Wednesday to a minor-league deal.
Zambrano was 7-10 with a 4.49 ERA for the Marlins last season. He struggled mightily to throw strikes, walking 75 men in 132 1/3 innings.
The last year Zambrano was effective was 2010, when he pitched to a 3.33 ERA in 20 starts and 16 relief appearances.
The Phillies are short on starting arms at the moment and are going with a four-man rotation until the 21st, but according to Matt Gelb:
It could be some time before Zambrano is able to join triple A because he must build arm strength. The 32-year-old pitcher spent time with Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic this spring but did not land a major-league job until now.
The Phillies must promote him to the majors by July 1, or he can ask for his release, assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said.
Gelb also does a fairly entertaining job of harping on Zambrano’s history, which is why we’re here.
Zambrano left the Chicago Cubs after 11 seasons when he gave up five home runs to the Atlanta Braves in a game in August 2011 and responded by throwing at Chipper Jones. Zambrano was ejected, told the franchise he was retired, and the Cubs responded by suspending him without pay.
You can watch one of his most notable meltdowns below, but here’s a list of his five best from a Cubs fan on Yahoo! This one, from 2009, comes in at No. 2 on the countdown.
Not in the dugout, Carlos.
|BenE. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|MikeD on The Secret Service once threat…|
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money